Sunday, May 23, 2010

Six Bags Full


As I was rolling into the parking lot at Lowe’s, some guy asked me how many 2x4’s I could carry on my Haulin’ Colin bike trailer. I answered, “As many as I can haul,” which, I guess, might be construed as circular reasoning, but what I meant was: there’s no limit, really, to how much you can fit in the trailer, just as long as you can still pedal forward with your load in tow.

In any case, I think I pretty much reached my upper boundary with the six bags of compost I brought home. I reckon that was about 200lbs of payload, not really a problem on flat ground, but mighty tough sledding going up Martin Luther King Boulevard from the hardware/lawn and garden store.

Still, I made it, and more to the point, the trailer performed admirably, rolling smoothly and with all the stability of a centipede. Even though I was huffing and puffing up the street, my two-wheeled friend behind me carried on without complaint. And when I got to enjoy the little downhill right before pulling into my back alley, I was able to completely let go and fly, confident that the cart would remain safely behind the horse where it belonged.

The clerks at Lowe’s got a kick out of watching me pedal away; “Good luck on your ride,” said one of them, laughing. And the day-laborer dudes hanging out looking for work by the store driveway’s entrance were all jealous that they didn’t have a rig like mine—at least that’s how I interpreted all their pointing and grinning.

The trailer doubled as a wheelbarrow when I got home; I was able to roll it up right next to our garden and pour the bags into our raised beds without having to lug them through the yard.

Try doing that with your pickup truck!

Once again, the Haulin’ Colin trailer saves not just the world, but your back, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment